CoRregidora and No Regrets


I just finished reading CoRregidora by GayL JoNES and I feel inspired to listen to Sheryl Crows "We Do What We Can" as I write. An unexpected, but good read to conclude this wonderful year. The book is a quick read of less than 200 pages. It exposes the thoughts and silence a girl develops as her painful life experiences push her into young womanhood, and finally into becoming a wise woman. A relatable tale for many of us to cry about or perhaps a reflection that offers permission to share (verbally or in written form) your sorrow with others - free from judgment and full of empathy. I believe many men and women of color would benefit from hearing the historically tragic stories family members silently carry with them amongst generation to generation.
Anywho (<---- one of my favorite fictional words), the novel certainly provoked the sorrow that wants to lie dormant within me, but actually exists on my surface. Therefore the song I am playing is fitting for the mood I read myself into. All this leads me to reflect on my own "herstory".
As I reflect on this year I recognize the progress I have made and those that were a major influence to the transformation I sustained in the last twelve months. To those few individuals, you know who you are, THANK YOU. Thank you for encouraging me to pursue unfamiliar activities. I can absolutely say pushing forward, through uncertainty, helped me to gain knowledge through the opportunities. Being encouraged I have also added two new projects to my professional goals. The possibilities keep me focused and guide the steps I take to prepare me. A year from now I will have attempted new things to achieve my personal and career goals, and I am thoroughly excited! I WELCOME the growth in writing, publishing, teaching, learning, and healing that are in my (near and distant) future.
There are no regrets if I had to go through all I have encountered to become the young woman I am today. 2011 I bid you adieu... 

2017 Update: The healing continues...the journey is long and painful, but there is freedom in the acceptance of the authentic truth. It is not easy facing my past, especially the things that were done to me, yet I want to be rid of the PTSD sexual violence and emotional abuse leave behind. My scars will always remain, but the wounds are healed I can move past the pain into the warm darkness, that is my future, without fear.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of School!

Hey YOU...Thank YOU!!

My First 24 Hours in Prison